Suspect accused of stabbing Sutton teen to death flees from Gatwick Airport as family left without justice

The suspect accused of stabbing a Sutton teenager to death has managed to flee the UK, potentially escaping the clutches of British authorities. 17-year-old student Ilyas Habibi was fatally stabbed on Tuesday, December 5, 2023 on Sutton High Street.

Ilyas had arrived at the High Street by train and barely minutes after he came out of the station, he was involved in an altercation and stabbed in the neck. The suspect then fled the scene.

Police and London Ambulance Service were called to the High Street around 7.08pm, to reports that a teenager had been stabbed. First aid was applied by the emergency services but sadly, Ilyas died at the scene at 7.53pm.

READ MORE: Thug cut pal from ear to cheek in vicious Stanley knife attack outside Co-op

A tent in place on Sutton High Street just outside Sutton station
A tent in place on Sutton High Street just outside Sutton station
(Image: David Nathan/UKNIP)

Following enquiries by the police, the suspect was identified however, on December 11, 2023, it came to light that the suspect had left the country two days earlier. Ilyas family were informed that they had fled leaving the family without justice.

The police are continuing to work with international partners to locate and arrest the suspect. So far a 19-year-old man, who was arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, was later been released on bail.

The police have asked for anyone with information about the incident should call the incident room direct on 0208 721 4622, or call the police on 101. Alternatively you can Tweet on ‘X’ @MetCC quoting 6107/5DEC or information can be given directly to police here. To remain completely anonymous you can also call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit

Our London Court & Crime newsletter brings you the latest major court updates and breaking news straight to your inbox. You can sign up HERE.

My London – Sutton